DeJulio Family Pizza Recipe
This is the pizza recipe that my grandparents taught to my father and
he taught to me. Information wants to be free, so go ahead and try
A warning first: we regard the directions in this recipe to be
suggestions, nothing more -- if intuition says to throw in twice as
much flour to get the consistancy right, it is done. So, the pizza
never comes out exactly the same twice, and if you try it,
yours won't be exactly the same as mine.
- 3-4 tablespoons of shortening. Melt and cool (separate pan)
- 2 cups of water (lukewarm)
- 2 envelopes dry yeast (Dissolve in water)
- 5 teaspoons of sugar
- Add 3 sifted cups of all purpose flour - Mix
- Add melted shortening -- (cooled)
- Add teaspoon salt
- Add (2.5 to 3) more cups of flour for consistency
- Remove from pan -- Knead 8 to 10 minutes. If it sticks to your hand, leave alone.
- Back in pan in warm spot.
- Leave rise till double in bulk -- (1 hour on)
- Punch down -- Let rise again.
- Grease pan with shortening
- Spread to desired thickness
- Cube garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
- Add sauce - (tomato puree) Add 0.5-1 teaspoon of sugar to can.
- cheese/sausage etc.
- Bake- 400deg oven to start-- After 10 minutes-- turn down to 350deg
- Cooks 20 to 25 minutes. Change racks 10 to 12 minutes.
- When cooked, lightly pour capful of olive oil on top of cooked pizza